NSPIRG has been the home to countless groups working on particular social and environmental justice issues over the years, some of which have become their own organizations.
The Loaded Ladle, South House (formerly the Dalhousie Women’s Centre), The Grainery Food Co-op, the Nova Scotia Rainbow Action Project and the Dalhousie Students Union Sustainability Office all originated as NSPIRG working groups!
Other past working groups have included:
- Humans Against Homophobia (HAH)
- Anti-oppression Youth Education Project (AYEP), providing relevant, safe, challenging workshops for youth that lead to action on issues of oppression and privilege
- Metro Students Living Cooperative, www.metrostudentcoop.org
- Student Coalition Against War (SCAW)
- Animal Rights Collective
- Campus Action on Food (CAF), campus-based coalition working to provide a variety of ethical food options on campus
- Decolonization Collective
- Haiti Action Halifax, looking to challenge Canadian and International policy towards Haiti and support social movements working on the ground in the country
- Halifax Vegan Potluck, held potlucks every two weeks at the Dal Women’s Centre
- Students Taking Action in Chiapas (STAC), stands in solidarity with the EZLN, working to both educate the public about Zapatista struggle as well as provide support through the sale of goods from Zapatista cooperatives
- Students for Students, program to facilitate equalizing access to quality education for children attending schools with lower academic standards
- Academics Before Corporatization (ABC), 2002
- NSPIRG Food Co-op, 2000? (Now the Grainery)
- Women’s Health Collective, 2000? (Now South House)
- Dal Green, (Now DSUSO)
- Students For Fiscal Fairness
- Idle No More Solidarity, 2013
- Puppets Etc infusing art and performance into local activism as well as political discourses into local artistic events.