The NSPIRG Board of Directors stewards the direction of the organization and manages its resources. Board Members make financial, funding, hiring, and budget decisions, direct strategic and organizational planning, and manage staff. They are responsible for ensuring that the organization is meeting the needs of student members and the broader community in assisting organized efforts to address inequality, pursue social change and practice environmental justice.
The NSPIRG Board of Directors are volunteers elected by students of Dalhousie University and the University of King’s College, in separate elections. The board is comprised of 3 – 5 Dalhousie students (elected by their peers), 2 – 3 King’s students (elected by their peers), and 1 – 3 Community, or Associate, Members (elected by both student bodies).
Becoming a Board Member with NSPIRG is a great way to gain experience working with non-profit organizations. It provides greater familiarity with social movement and community organization; engagement of social movement and community organization; experience in consensual and anti-oppressive group processes; increased awareness of social and environmental justices issues; and understanding of the link between research, education and action for social change.
NSPIRG Board Responsibilities Include:
- Attending regularly scheduled board meetings (generally biweekly)
- Upholding the anti-oppression values of the organization and maintaining a demonstrated commitment to social and environmental justice
- Sitting on one or more of the board’s committees, which review items related to their focus and report back to the board (committees change from year to year but may include: finances, funding, policy, resources, human resources)
- Taking an active role in the organization and/or its working groups
- Acting as employers for NSPIRG staff
- Upholding the NSPIRG Bylaws
- Liasing with the Dalhousie and Kings Students Unions
Board elections are held once a year. The Board term currently runs from May 1st to April 30.
NSPIRG 2016-2017 Board of Directors
To contact the 2016/17 BoD, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NSPIRG 2015-2016 Board of Directors
NSPIRG 2014-2015 Board of Directors
Ali Calladine (email@example.com)
Shannon Turner (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Murray Hancock (email@example.com)
Tori Ball (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Holly Lobsinger (email@example.com)
NSPIRG 2013-2014 Board of Directors
Alia Karim (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Amanda Dickie (email@example.com)
Anna Bishop (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Katlin Moore (email@example.com)
Olivia Bibby (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Omri Haiven (email@example.com)
Rachelle McKay (firstname.lastname@example.org)
NSPIRG 2013-2014 Board Minutes
NSPIRG 2016/2017 Strategic Vision
We, the Board of Directors and Staff of NSPIRG aspire to:
- Continuously review our policies and practices with a critical, anti-oppressive lens in an attempt to decolonize our work.
- Actively advocate for social and environmental justice through our projects, Working Groups, community partnerships, and outreach.
- Create accessible, safer spaces built on the values of equity and inclusion.